Marilyn Wann's two cents on Weight of the Nation
Weight of the Nation. It's the toxic new HBO documentary on how all of the disgusting and out of control fat people are going to bring down western society. Fuck you very much, HBO!
Marilyn Wann is on it in her latest SF Weekly column, Weight of the Nation Serves Up More Fat-Shaming. Marilyn reminds us:
I attended the first, government-sponsored Weight of the Nation conference in 2009. I didn't pay or anything self-defeating like that. I just walked in (with a brave friend or two) and delivered plastic-wrapped fortune cookies to the fancy luncheon tables where major stakeholders were about to chew on the alleged "obesity" problem. If the professional food scolds took a cookie, they got messages like these:
- The war on "obesity" is a war on PEOPLE!
- The No. 1 threat to fat people? Your unexamined prejudice.
- What's the word for science that serves bigotry? Hint: It starts with "you."
- If you can't imagine fat people being healthy...that's YOUR pathology!
- Tell people to lose weight if you want to endanger public health AND civil rights!
- How many fat people must you starve, poison, slice up? Celebrate weight diversity now!
AND she includes this nice video from the Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH):
But don't stop here. Check out the whole article.